Patis-Glazed Fried Chicken
- 1 whole Bounty Fresh Everyday Chicken
- 2 tablespoons calamansi juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Bounty Fresh Premium Medium egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cane vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 onion
- fried chili leaves, for garnish
- Marinate chicken in calamansi juice and fish sauce for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Make the patis glaze: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat except for chili flakes and cornstarch. Let sugar dissolve, about 1 minute.
- Increase heat and boil until vinegar’s acidity has cooked off. Add chili flakes and cornstarch. Whisk until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat oil for deep-frying in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot. Dredge Bounty Fresh Everyday Chicken in flour and shake off excess. Dip in beaten Bounty Fresh Premium Medium egg then dredge again in flour. Deep-fry for about 10 to 12 minutes or until skin is golden and chicken is cooked through. Drain on a wire rack.
- Drizzle some of the glaze on chicken or toss chicken in glaze. Place glazed chicken on a platter. Sprinkle fried shallots and fried chili leaves over.
- Serve with remaining sauce on the side. Serve immediately.